Family of six left homeless after house catch fire

Written by on July 16, 2020

A FAMILY of six has been left homeless in Chasefu District of Eastern Province after a fire swept through their house following a whirlwind.

Patrick Moyo of Chimdomba Village in Senior Chief Magodi and his family are sleeping in the cold after their house was gutted by fire three days ago.

Luwerezi Area Coordinating Committee (ACC) Chairperson Austin Lowole disclosed to ZANIS that the affected family is currently homeless following the unfortunate incident.

Mr Lowole said the incident happened around 14:00 hours on Saturday following a whirl-wind that also blew off the thatched roof of the house.

It is not known how the house caught fire, but it is suspected that the whirlwind blew some fire flakes from a kitchen outside to the grass-thatch roof of the house, thereby setting household belongings ablaze.

He said Mr Moyo and his family lost clothes, maize grain, cotton and cotton wool-packs, all valued at K3,515 in the inferno.

The ACC Chairperson has since appealed to the Social Welfare office in Chasefu to render any support to help the family rebuild their home.

“We would be very glad if your quick response over the above client would be considered,” the letter written to the Social welfare office reads in part.

Meanwhile, the victim, Patrick Moyo aged 30 lamented that the loss of household goods and harvested crop has left the family destitute and appealed to well-wishers to come to their aid.


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current track