PASTOR OF WEEK: ASSISTANT PASTOR KENNEDY ZAMBWE – HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE ASSISTANT PASTOR
Written by Millennium on July 28, 2019
THE ministry of an assistant pastor is a biblical ministry as can be observed from the following scriptures.
The issue of Assistant Leader is exemplified in both Old and New Testaments. In 1 Kings 19 vs. 19 – 21, Elisha was an assistant of Elijah.
In Matthew 4 vs. 18 – 19, Jesus chose disciples to be his assistants. To be an Assistant Pastor is a calling.
May I bring to your attention the fact that faithful and loyal assistant pastors are rare to be found but not impossible.
The disloyalty, rebellion and breakaways we experience in our churches are partly because of lack of proper Assistant Pastors.
It is proper Assistant Pastors that make good leading leaders. Jesus puts it this way in Luke 16 vs. 12 “And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?”
Some will serve as Assistant Pastor until they see Jesus in glory, while others may graduate or be promoted as leading leaders.
Having said all this, let me talk about HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE ASSISTANT PASTOR.
1. Know the vision of the leading leader. Hosea 6 vs. 4
2. Make the vision of the leading leader your own.
3. Know the heartbeat of the leading leader. You have to imbibe the spirit of the leader.
4. Know his/her likes and dislikes.
5. Make your leader’s wish your command. Let me chip in here and say if you have the gift of service as an Assistant Pastor, it is an added advantage. 1 Cor. 12 vs. 28.
6. Avoid covetousness. 2 Kings 5 vs. 22 – 27.
7. Be content with what God is giving you. Godliness with contentment is great gain.
8. Don’t expose the nakedness of your leader. It is immature to expose the failures and weaknesses of your leader. Rather, cover him/her. Handle your leader’s issues with competence.
9. Always check your motives as you serve the leading leader.
Though being an Assistant Pastor has its own challenges, here are some advantages of being an Assistant Pastor.
1. You enjoy covering. 2 Kings 6 vs. 15 – 17.
2. You receive mentorship.
3. The way is laid for you.
4. You climb easily because the environment is ready for you. The hard work has been done for you.
5. You enjoy acceptance and approval by men because of the man/woman you serve. 2 Kings 3 vs. 11.
6. Blessings flow down to you. Ps 133. 7. You gain more experience.
HOW TO OPERATE AS AN ASSISTANT PASTOR
1. Don’t compete with the leading leader. Complement him/her.
2. Learn to intercede for the leading leader and his/her household.
3. Sow into his/her ministry and mobilize people to bless him/her.
4. Offer useful advice.
5. Be transparent and open in your dealings as an Assistant Pastor.
6. Serve without grumbling and murmuring.
7. Defend your leader always.
8. Don’t eye the position of your leader.
9. Be alert concerning the physical/spiritual needs of the leading leader.
In conclusion, as Assistant Pastors, choose to be like Nathaniel in heart as you serve and have the mind that was in Christ.
Phillipians 2 vs. 5 – 10. Let’s serve effectively and help take the kingdom of God forward. Amen
My name is Assistant Pastor Kennedy Zambwe. I was ordained in 1998 as a minister in Apostolic Church in Zambia. I am currently an assistance Pastor at Breakthrough Worship Centre, a branch Church of Apostolic Church in Zambia. I was trained at Kaniki Bible College in Ndola from January 1997 to December 1998. And Iater I did my Bachelors of Arts Degree with TwinPalm Leadership University. I got married on 6th May in 2001 and we have 2 children Deogracious (girl) and Sepo(boy) with my wife.