Three Chilubi juveniles burnt beyond recognition

Written by on June 20, 2019



THREE Chilubi boys aged between five years and 15 years have died after a fire razed a thatched house in which they were sleeping.

The three were burnt beyond recognition on June 16, between 22:00 hours and 04:00 hours at Chichele fishing camp in Chief Chiwanangala in Chilubi District.

Police public relations officer Esther Katongo said preliminary findings showed the fire was started when the father of one of the victims only identified as ‘bashi Arbiton’ left the fire on for smoking fish and went to sleep.

Ms Katongo told the Sun in a statement that the three bodies had since been buried.

Ms Katongo identified the three victims as Arbiton Mwansa aged 15, Allan Lishuko aged eight and male Lubuto aged five.

 “The fire later spread and gutted the house in which the victims were sleeping and they sustained serious burns and died on the spot while the father survived the inferno with burns and is admitted to Chilubi District Mainland Hospital,” Ms Katongo said.

She said Police had observed with sadness an increase in reports of fire incidents during cold seasons compared to other phases of the year.

Ms Katongo said some of the fires reported as arson turned out to have been caused as a result of negligence on the part of occupants.

From June 1, police have received 18 fire related cases of which eight were reported as arson while 10 were reported as mere fire occurences.

Ms Katongo advised members of the public to avoid leaving fire or other electrical appliances such as heaters unattended to especially during this cold time of year to avoid loss of life and property.

“In the event of the load shedding being experienced countrywide, we advise members of the public to avoid leaving candles on when going to sleep as they have high potential of causing fire,” She said.

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current track