30 FOREIGNERS NABBED, DETAINED
Written by Millennium on August 26, 2019
THE Immigration Department in Lusaka has detained 30 foreigners following a clean-up operation conducted on Wednesday.
Public relations officer Namati Nshinka said in a statement the clean-up exercise covered Chilenje, Libala, Kamwala South, John Howard, Chawama and part of Makeni residential area in Lusaka.
Ms Nshinka said the detainees included 16 Burundians, seven Tanzanians and four Congolese.
Others are two Egyptians and one Chinese.
She said the screening was continuing.
Mrs Nshinka said on the same day in Ndola, 25 foreigners were apprehended for various immigration offences.
She said the 25 were intercepted at a road block mounted in Ndola’s Hillcrest area and included 15 Chinese, two Congolese, two British, one Rwandese and one Australian.
The others were one Austrian, one Somali, one Indian and one South African.
Mrs Nshinka said six of the 25 were being held pending prosecution while 18, most of who were working in Ndola when their employment permits were only valid for Lusaka, had been formally warned to desist from abrogating conditions of their permits.
Meanwhile, the department, between August 19 and 22, apprehended a total of 58 people for various immigration offences nationwide and secured seven convictions in courts.
Mrs Nshinka said during the same period, the department effected eight deportations and eight removals and also refused entry to nine foreigners for failing to meet entry requirements for Zambia.
The department urged all holders of various immigration permits to comply with all conditions of their permits as stipulated by law.
Failure to comply might attract sanctions which included revocation of their permits, prosecution or both. – ZANIS