RUFUNSA COUNCIL CLARIFIES PLOTS ALLOCATION PROCEDURES
Written by Millennium on August 17, 2019
JOHN KOMBE writes
MEMBERS of public in Rufunsa with queries about plots allocation should engage the local authority, says council chairman, Mr. Bartholomew Kalambalala.
Mr. Kalambalala said that any person who had any concerns over plots that were advertised in 2015 and felt aggrieved should not resort to speculations, but engage the council for clarification.
He was reacting to complaints from some applicants who claimed they had observed some anomalies in the land administration by the local authority.
“It is surprising that some applicants have resorted to engaging us through the media instead of coming to the local authority offices where the applications were made,” he said.
And Rufunsa council public relations officer Rachel Chako stressed that the local authority did not advertise any plots in 2013 as alleged by some applicants.
She clarified that, Rufunsa was only declared a district in 2012 by President Michael Sata, adding until then; it was only a satellite Boma for Chongwe Municipal Council.
“Initially Rufunsa Council was given 9,534 hectares in 2015 but due to challenges with the local people, it was reduced to 2, 000 hectares,
“Before the reduction of the Boundary, Rufunsa had already advertised and people were interviewed for the plots which meant that some of the pieces of land on the Local Area Plan had to be cancelled,” she said
It was however agreed that all the affected applicants needed to be offered other vacant plots.
That entails that, all applicants who attended interviews were automatically put on the waiting list.
“It is against this background that we wish to make it clear that the council did not advertise for any plots in 2013 as alleged by some members of the public,” Ms Chako said.
Ms Chako said the council was currently working with the Lusaka Provincial Planning Unit to open up new areas where all pending applicants would be adequately considered.